Book Review CARMILLA J. Sheridan Le Fanu

Found this one in audiobook on Libby.


I adored this book, actually. It's creepy and scary, which I like. The character Carmilla herself is creepy. She just dissolves out of the stone pattern of the walls one night and bites Laura, and yet next thing, Carmilla is accepted by the whole family as part of the family, and how perfectly natural that she should be attached like a leech to young Laura. For me, it is this power of persuasion and social control that is truly terrifying in this story.

Honestly, I would have given this book 5 stars, and thought I would nearly the whole time through both readings except the ending lost me both times. I wanted something eerie and understated and didn't get it. What's there will likely work very well for DRACULA fans, but maybe not as many Machen fans, like me!

Creepy, terrifying, a wonderful classic vampire tale. So happy this one got some hype this year and came to my attention!

Rating: πŸ‘©πŸ»‍🀝‍πŸ‘©πŸΌπŸ‘©πŸ»‍🀝‍πŸ‘©πŸΌπŸ‘©πŸ»‍🀝‍πŸ‘©πŸΌπŸ‘©πŸ»‍🀝‍πŸ‘©πŸΌ / 5 unhealthy friendships
Recommend? Definitely!
Finished: July 13 2023, July 14 2023
Format: Audiobook, Libby 
Read this if you like:
πŸŒ† Vampire stories
πŸ§›‍♀️ Bram Stoker's Dracula
πŸͺž Arthur Machen
πŸͺ’ Weird fiction

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: PAPER NAMES Susie Luo

Book Review BLUE RIDGE Peter Malone Elliott

Book Review THE WITCHING TIDE Margaret Meyer