Book Review THE WITCH HITCH Elizabeth Bass

Thank you to the author Elizabeth Bass, publishers Kensington Books, and TLC Book Tours, for an advance paperback copy of THE WITCH HITCH. Thank you also to NetGalley for an accomanying widget. All views are mine.



When you read as much romance as I do, you ask yourself when you're reading, does the author use the tropes in a fresh way? In a way I just didn't really see coming? In this case, the answer is certainly, "YES," and I related to this book on more than one level! I don't want to give too much away here, so I'll keep it as secret as I can!

To start with, I love the "Hate His Family" trope in romedy, and we get a lot of that in this. I really feel for the fmc dealing with her fiance Wes's overbearing family. I mean-- his parents bought them a haunted castle for their wedding gift. Besides being annoying, this is like too cool for real, and I would just never sleep again such a castle. I kid, but I get it! Once my family got their hands on my wedding, it just wasn't mine any more! I said I wanted a vintage lace hippy dress. Hey it was the 2000s! So my mom's drags me to her best friend's dusty old boutique-- she only keeps one lamp lit in this place-- and Mom buys me the most expensive dress there. Not a hippie dress. One of my sisters made my wedding shoes, purple rhinestone pumps. They don't match the periwinkle dress, but at least they compliment it. I had wanted to go barefoot. My point, you see, is I love stories in which the wedding is never the bride's. 

I love when a romance protagonist-- heck any protagonist!-- makes a big decision that is a little rebellious, and at least culturally unpopular. Especially when this action is the climax of the story and is properly written, it makes for such a good story! I love me a little antihero❤️‍🔥

So, this was something a little wild and unexpected, even despite the witch on the cover. Don't ask me how that happened!

Rating: 👗👗👗👗 / 5 dresses she didn't choose
Recommend? For sure!
Finished: 7.22.23
Format: Gifted Paperback and advanced digital copy, NetGalley 
Read this if you like:
⏳️ Time travel
✨️ Magic
🧙‍♂️ Secret societies
💒 Weddings
👰‍♂️ Wedding dresses
👻 Haunted castles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: PAPER NAMES Susie Luo

Book Review BLUE RIDGE Peter Malone Elliott

Book Review THE WITCHING TIDE Margaret Meyer