Book Review THE FAITH OF ELVIS Billy Stanley

Thank you to the author and publisher for inviting me to review this wonderful biography and for providing me an advance hardback copy of ᴛʜᴇ ғᴀɪᴛʜ ᴏғ ᴇʟᴠɪs. I found my audio copy on Libby. All views are mine.


Opening quote: [Elvis] said..., "It is not a sin to be rich, but it is a sin to love money." 

I was surprised how much I loved this faith-centered biography of Elvis from the perspective of an adoring little brother. I felt this cross-section of the King's life revealed something truly special about him, and remarkable about fame and the vulnerability it brings.

Three (or more) things I loved:

1. I love this image of Elvis as the spoiling, over-doting big brother. I knew he grew up an only child, so that he got this opportunity as a young adult to be a brother is a truly wonderful story. For the boys too, having a much older brother with such vivacious spirit was a source of love, excitement, and huge personal growth.

2. Some real interest insights into relationship between mother and child: It's a bitter concoction to swallow, knowing that our mothers won't always be there when we call, that they, too, are fighting their own private Demons, sometimes bound by a darkness they cannot escape or control. p8

3. This was my first biography about Elvis and I am now fascinated with the subject. I intend to seek out more books about him, starting with this author's other book about Elvis. What a fascinating figure-- only ever wanted to be like Jesus and become arguably tge greatest pop star who ever lived!

Three (or less) things I didn't love:

This section isn't only for criticisms. It's merely for items that I felt something for other than "love" or some interpretation thereof.

1. It's interesting to me that Elvis was a polarizing figure in his own household, as he was in the wider world. He had an idea about what kinds of childhoods his stepbrothers ought to experience, and he went to great lengths to execute his visions for happy boyhood. He did so even if it meant breaking the boys' parents' rules-- keeping them out too late and interfering with their educations. The boys adored him, but even the author remembers being awakened late at night to embark on adventures, getting to bed too late on school nights, and being tired a lot.

2. I appreciate that the author was trying not to be lurid, but I don't think he said quite enough about addiction. I gathered, barely, that he struggled with his own addiction problems, as well as handling Elvis's addiction problems. His mother and stepfather might have struggled with alcohol, even. I think he glosses over this part of things a little too much. You can be honest about mental illness without being lurid!

Rating: 👑👑👑👑 Kings of Rock N Roll 
Recommend? Yes, for Elvis fans or biography lovers
Finished: Oct 17 23
Format: Advance Hardback, Audiobook, Libby 
Read this book if you like:
👻 biographies and tell-alls
👨‍👩‍👧‍👦 family stories, family drama
🫂 stories of brothers 
🚗 boy's coming of age 
🎙 Elvis
✝️ family and personal faith

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: PAPER NAMES Susie Luo

Book Review BLUE RIDGE Peter Malone Elliott

Book Review THE WITCHING TIDE Margaret Meyer