Book Review MISTER LULLABY

Thank you to the author J. H. Markert, publishers Crooked Lane Books, and also to NetGalley for a widget of MISTER LULLABY. All views are mine.


This book is like NIGHTMARE MAN got a little older and tightened up its wardrobe. I like the progression in Markert's style, too. He's developed his narrative voice, this smokey whisper, urgent and dire, lifting off the page in words. I'm eager to see what more he creates under this pen name.

Three (or more) things I loved:

1. I love Beth's character and story trajectories. The book cares about her and gives her grace and respects her autonomy, even when, perhaps especially when she's not on page. It's some really good writing on Markert's part. She easily foils the absolute absurdity of the antagonist. 

2. A noticeable improvement in mental illness rep. I can tell Markert put in the work to avoid stigmatizing in this book.

3. The horns are freaking great.😆

4. Okay Teddy and Brandy are my favorite power couple in a while!

5. In Teddy's sections, the subtle shifts in narrative voice, the tendency toward overconfidence and self-delusion, really makes his sections unique to him. Not to mention, a pleasure to read.

Three (or less) things I didn't loved:

1. This writer seems to favor scenes in which a character thinks while they are driving. These scenes are slow in pace and feel disconnected from the rest of the story, even if the information is plot relevant. I remember the same issue taking place in NIGHTMARE MAN.

2. I don't love everything about the midpoint turn, but I love Alu. Like the demon version of sleep apnea! Hey, that stuff's evil 😈 

3. The last 20% gets convoluted, but I liked the ending. It wraps things up but leaves a possibility for more story.

Rating: 💤💤💤💤 bad nights of sleep
Recommend? Yes!
Finished: Nov 20 23
Format: Digital arc, Kindle, NetGalley 
Read this book if you like:
⌛️ nonlinear timeline
🚇 haunted tunnels
💞 unlikely friends
🔪 serial killer stories 
🛌 stories about nightmares 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: PAPER NAMES Susie Luo

Book Review BLUE RIDGE Peter Malone Elliott

Book Review THE WITCHING TIDE Margaret Meyer