Book Review THE RULE OF THIRDS Jeannee Sacken

Thank you to the author Jeannee Sacken, publishers Ten 16 Press, and tour organizers TLC Book Tours and Get Red PR, for an advance paperback copy of THE RULE OF THIRDS. All views are mine.


Three (or more) things I loved:

1. I have to admit that I sort of love this badass hang-with-the-boys female protagonist with emo problems and demons trope. She's fun! And she's real and I relate to her.

2. The chemistry between the two leads is both complex emotionally and very sexy, which pulls me into the story.

3. PTSD rep is so important! I love-vuh how the author works therapy into the storylines, and how well the leads communicate the issues within each of their stories.

Three (or less) things I didn't love:

This section isn't only for criticisms. It's merely for items that I felt something for other than "love" or some interpretation thereof.

1. This book is the third in a series of three books. In true "me" fashion, I've not read the first two. Even though this book builds on the first two somewhat, the author does a good job filling in crucial details and interspersing back story without ham-fisting it. A nice example of this on p11.

2. Everyone in this book talks like a drill sergeant! Cerelli, Annie, Bonita, and even Mel, all share similar tone, cadence, and speech habits. They all sort of verbally hammer at each other until they've said all their lines, then they part ways and move toward the next plot point.

3. I really like Annie and Cerelli together in this book. I think they have great chemistry! But I think certain aspects of their dynamic undermine the development of her character as the independent badass super-femme. She's  just a little inconsistent in light of what seems like his tropes-- the overprotective lover.

4. I adore how much this book centers PTSD, but I'm not a fan of the casual sanism, such as the frequent misuse of the word "crazy"

Rating: πŸ“ΈπŸ“ΈπŸ“ΈπŸ“Έ perfect shots
Recommend? Yes
Finished: Nov 10 23
Read this book if you like:
πŸͺ– war stories
✈️ world travel
🧭 adventures
πŸ™ˆ closed door romance
πŸ‘₯️ mental health rep 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: PAPER NAMES Susie Luo

Book Review BLUE RIDGE Peter Malone Elliott

Book Review THE WITCHING TIDE Margaret Meyer