Book Review SONS OF IRIE Asha Ashanti Bromfield

Thank you to the author Asha Ashanti Bromfield, publishers Wednesday Books and #SMPInfluencers, for an advance hardback copy of SONGS OF IRIE. Thank you also to Scrib'd, now Everand for books, for an accomanying audibook. All views are mine.



Three (or more) things I loved:

1. I love the chant competition scenes with the singing, which on the audiobook, are sung by the author. It adds a really interesting depth to the medium.

2. I love the Rasta element, love the opportunity to learn more about this culture.

3. I really enjoy stories about empowered and activist teenagers, they feel optimistic to me, even when they deal with challenging subject matter.  SONGS OF IRIE is like this.

4. I love stories that center and empower black communities: Black bodies fill every corner of the space, the energy grimy and raw as they move in time to the dancehall beat. p199

Three (or less) things I didn't love:

This section isn't only for criticisms. It's merely for items that I felt something for other than "love" or some interpretation thereof.

1. I think it's interesting that the book shows how strong the family ties are in Irie's family, which is something that anchors her. Both in a good way, keeping her feet on the ground, and a bad way, as the book depicts clear patriarchal abuses in the home, which keep Irie from striving for her goals.

2. I loved so much about this book, but I just didn't love the shape of the plot. It was layered but not nuanced, and I struggled at points to see how the different moving points connected to each other.

3. In the story of sapphic love, the story of great friendship shines through: "I love you so much Jilly," I whisper again. "Thank you for being there for me tonight. Having you as a friend it's...it's really changed my life. And I'm so, so grateful." p218

Rating: 🎢🎡🎢🎡 / 5 freedom songs
Recommend? Yes
Finished: Nov 11 23
Format: Gifted hardback, audiobook, Everand
Read this book if you like:
πŸ‘©πŸΎ‍❤️‍πŸ’‹‍πŸ‘©πŸΏ forbidden sapphic romance
πŸ‘¨‍πŸ‘©‍πŸ‘§‍πŸ‘¦ family stories, family drama
πŸ‘­πŸ½ teenage girl friendships 
πŸ’‡‍♀️ girl's coming of age 
πŸ—£ singing, music
⚔️ stories about revolution 
πŸ’Ž class disparity 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: PAPER NAMES Susie Luo

Book Review BLUE RIDGE Peter Malone Elliott

Book Review THE WITCHING TIDE Margaret Meyer