Book Review THE CURSE OF PENRYTH HALL Jess Armstrong

Thank you to the author Jess Armstrong, publishers Minotaur Books, and SMPI, for an advance digital copy of THE CURSE OF PENRYTH. Thank you also to NetGalley for the complimentary copy. All views are mine.


I read this book twice! I loved the settings, and the mouthy female lead and her irascible senior roommate. Certain things about the mystery, I found deliciously Gothic, which I adore. The killer's methods delighted me and grossed me out! But unfortunately, I read this book twice because the plot lost me. Both times. Beyond the details, I couldn't connect with characters or plot because it was all too convoluted.

Three (or more) things I loved:

1. I adore this mouthy female, what, detective? Inspector? A dire cynic smack in the middle of a supernatural tale. Excellent protagonist. 

2. The dynamic between the first person narrator, Ruby, a young woman, and her irascible roommate, friend and benefactor(?), the older, disabled, and greatly resourced Mr. Owen, is very entertaining and funny!

Three (or less) things I didn't love:

This section isn't only for criticisms. It's merely for items that I felt something for other than "love" or some interpretation thereof.

1. The plot is so convoluted, I'm having trouble following the narrative. And unfortunately, the narrative is largely told in dialog, which I struggle to connect to without sufficient description. 

Rating: 🧘🧘 gifted healers
Recommend? Maybe
Finished: Jul, Nov 2023
Format: Digital arc, Kindle
Read this book if you like:
ðŸĶ‍⬛ gothic
🔍 mysteries 
ðŸŠĪ creative murder
💇‍♀️ women's coming of age

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: PAPER NAMES Susie Luo

Book Review BLUE RIDGE Peter Malone Elliott

Book Review THE WITCHING TIDE Margaret Meyer